The island of Noirmoutier or mimosa island magnifies nature; it offers the visitor very beautiful escapades between woods of holm oaks and flowery alleys, expanses of sand with harmonious curves and marshes of white gold… It is full of natural and historical riches to discover during your stay.
The island is accessible by the Noirmoutier bridge or by the Gois passage, a spectacular and submersible road, to be used according to the tide times.
Its area is 49km2 and includes several municipalities : Barbâtre, Noirmoutier-en-l’île, L’Epine, La Guérinière, Le Vieil and L’Herbaudière.
Here, everything is conducive to walking or cycling… the villages and their typical houses, the long beaches and their rocky coves, nature reserves where the flora and fauna are highly preserved.
There are also must-see places such as:
- Bois de la Chaise, planted with centuries-old trees, stretching over 110 hectares,
- Noirmoutier castle built in the 9th century,
- St Philbert’s Church a stone’s throw from the castle, rebuilt on a crypt listed as a historical monument,
- la plage des Dames, the setting for a dream holiday or even a cinema with its bathing cabins and its landing stage,
- the salt marshes occupying a vast third of the territory, operated by a hundred salt workers perpetuating ancestral gestures and offering their exceptional products for direct sale
It is also a delicious land of abundance with flagship products from land and sea :
- the Noirmoutier bonnotte, tasty early potatoes, with a delicate and particular iodized flavor,
- seafood and fresh fish to enjoy at home or in the many restaurants on the island,
- glasswort, salt, the work of the salt workers, the sun and the wind bringing a grain of nature and tradition
The island can also be discovered from the sea side and the regattas follow one another tirelessly during the summer season, unmissable events for the most beautiful classic and traditional sails.
The island of Noirmoutier is the ideal place for the practice of nautical activities. There is something for every taste ! Sensational activities (kitesurfing, windsurfing, towed buoy, water skiing, wakeboarding, jetskiing, sand yachting, scuba diving) or fun activities (paddle boarding, kayaking, sailing, walking and fishing at sea). Sensations and pleasures guaranteed !
Do not hesitate to contact the Tourist Office for personalized advice for your stay in Noirmoutier and book your vacation rental in Noirmoutier-en-l’île now.